St Maarten vs St Thomas, which one should you visit on your next vacation. St Maarten and St Thomas are two beautiful islands in the Caribbean. They both have their own unique culture, food, and people.
If you’re wondering which one to visit on your next vacation, this article will help make that decision easier for you! St Maarten and St Thomas are two of the most popular destinations in the Caribbean.
These islands have many similarities, but they also have some important differences. In this article, we will explore these two beatiful islands and compare them.
Table of Contents
St Maarten vs St Thomas
When it comes to choosing between St Maarten and St Thomas for your next Caribbean vacation, the decision can be difficult. Both islands have a lot to offer visitors, but each has its own unique charms that make it a great choice for different types of travelers.
Here is a brief overview of some pros and cons of each island to help you decide which one is right for you.
- St Maarten is well-known for its beautiful beaches and crystal clear waters. The island has something for everyone, whether you’re looking for a quiet beach retreat or an action-packed vacation full of nightlife and adventure.
- St Thomas, on the other hand, is known for its lush green landscape and towering mountains. It’s perfect if you’re looking for a more laid-back vacation with plenty of opportunities for hiking and exploring.
1. Size: Size-wise, they are about the same. However, St. Maarten is more developed with casinos, restaurants, bars, and shopping while St. Thomas is better for those looking for more natural scenery and beaches. Ultimately, it depends on what you’re looking for when traveling.
If you want a more lively atmosphere with plenty of things to do, then go to St. Maarten – but if you want a more relaxed setting with beautiful beaches and nature all around you, then choose St. Thomas instead.
2. Beaches: The beaches on St. Maarten are absolutely beautiful, and there’s a wide variety of them to choose from. Whether you want to relax on a secluded beach or enjoy some water sports action, you’ll find what you’re looking for here.
In contrast, the beaches on St. Thomas are a little more crowded and not as picturesque – but they do offer more facilities such as restaurants and bars.
The other big difference between these two islands is the atmosphere. St. Maarten has a much more relaxed vibe, while St. Thomas feels more like a busy city with lots of hustle and bustle going on.
3. Nightlife: St Maarten is known as the “ party island” and it definitely lives up to its reputation. There are countless bars and clubs where you can party until the sun comes up. The casino on the island is also world-class, with all of your favorite games available.
St Thomas is also a great place for nightlife, but it’s not quite as lively as St Maarten. There are plenty of bars and restaurants to choose from, but the casino isn’t as big or as exciting as on St Maarten.
So, if you’re looking for a wild night out, head to St Maarten. If you’re looking for a more relaxed vibe, then St Thomas may be better suited for you.
4. Activities: When it comes to deciding which island is better for activities, it really depends on what you are looking for. If you want to go explore the jungle and do some hiking, then St. Thomas would be a better choice. If you want to spend your time on the beach, then St. Maarten would be a better option.
Both islands offer great snorkeling and scuba diving opportunities, as well as plenty of other water sports. There are also plenty of opportunities for shopping and dining on both islands.
5. Cost: When it comes to choosing a Caribbean island to visit, many people are unsure whether to go with St Maarten or St Thomas. Both islands have a lot to offer tourists, but they also come with different price tags. So which one is more expensive for tourists?
Well, in general, St Thomas is the more expensive of the two islands. The cost of living is higher and there are more expensive hotels and restaurants. However, St Maarten has its own expenses too – especially when it comes to shopping. So it really depends upon what you want to take advantage of on your trip.
If you’re looking for a luxurious vacation with all the bells and whistles, then St Thomas is probably your best bet. But if you’re happy with something a little more relaxed and want to save money, then head to St Maarten.
6. Weather: When it comes to the weather, there is no clear answer as to which is better, St Maarten or St Thomas. Both islands boast beautiful beaches and warm temperatures year-round. However, there are a few factors that could sway your decision.
St Maarten is known for its consistent trade winds, which make it perfect for windsurfing and kiteboarding. If you’re looking for an active vacation, then this may be the island for you. The downside to the trade winds is that they can make the weather a bit cooler than on St Thomas.
St Thomas is known for its balmy breezes and amazing sunsets. The weather here is typically a bit hotter than on St Maarten, making it a great choice if you’re looking to soak up some rays.
7. Shopping: When it comes to shopping, there are two popular Caribbean destinations that often come up in conversation: St. Maarten and St. Thomas. Both islands have their own unique appeal, but which one is the better shopping destination?
St. Maarten is known for its high-end shopping options, while St. Thomas is more geared towards tourists looking for souvenirs and bargains. If you’re looking for designer brands and luxury items, St. Maarten is the place to go. You’ll find stores like Cartier, Gucci, and Louis Vuitton among the many options on offer.
If you’re on a budget or just want to find some good deals, then St. Thomas is the better option. There are plenty of places to shop in Charlotte Amalie, including jewelry stores, duty-free shops, and souvenir stalls.
8. History: There’s no definitive answer as to which of the two Caribbean islands, St Maarten or St Thomas, is more historically rich. Both have a storied past that’s evident in the architecture and culture of their residents.
St Maarten was originally settled by the Arawak Indians, who were later conquered by the Caribs. The island changed hands a number of times over the ensuing centuries, and was eventually claimed by the Dutch. St Thomas was colonized by the Danish in 1672, and remained under their rule until 1917.
Both islands have seen their share of battles and skirmishes over the years, with each side claiming victory at various points. However, it’s hard to deny the natural beauty and history that each island has to offer visitors. So if you’re looking for a little bit of everything – both islands are definitely worth a visit!
9. Crime: When it comes to deciding which Caribbean island is the safest for tourists, opinions vary. Some people might say that St Maarten is safer because it is less populated and there is a smaller chance of being in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Others might argue that St Thomas is a better choice because it has a more developed infrastructure and a greater number of tourist-friendly amenities. What both islands have in common, however, is that they are relatively safe places to visit when compared to other destinations in the region.
Neither island experiences significant levels of crime or violence, and both are home to friendly locals who are always happy to help visitors get around.
10: Location: St. Maarten is located in the northeast corner of the Caribbean, while St. Thomas is located in the Virgin Islands, which is southeast of Puerto Rico. This means that St. Thomas is a bit closer to the U.S., so it tends to be more popular with Americans.
However, because it’s further from other islands, St. Maarten is less crowded and feels more like a true tropical paradise. St. Thomas is located in the United States Virgin Islands and is a territory of the United States.
This means that U.S. citizens do not need a passport to visit, and that there are some conveniences and amenities that are not available on St. Maarten (such as U.S.-style grocery stores and pharmacies). The island is also home to Charlotte Amalie, one of the busiest cruise ports in the world.
Is St Maarten or St Thomas better?
When it comes to deciding whether St Maarten or St Thomas is the better island destination, it really depends on what you are looking for. If you want a more lively and vibrant atmosphere, then head to St Maarten.
This island is home to bustling casinos, nightclubs, and restaurants. If you are looking for a more relaxed and serene getaway, then choose St Thomas instead. This island has stunning beaches, lovely boutique shops, and plenty of lush vegetation.
So, if you can’t decide between these two equally amazing destinations, just flip a coin – you won’t be disappointed with either one!
St Lucia vs St Maarten vs St Thomas
When it comes to choosing a Caribbean island vacation, many people are unsure which one to choose: St Lucia, St Maarten or St Thomas? Here is a look at the pros and cons of each to help you make your decision.
- St Lucia is known for its dramatic scenery, with volcanic peaks and lush rainforests. It offers a wide range of activities from hiking and biking to zip-lining and swimming with dolphins. The downside is that it can be more expensive than the other two islands. St. Lucia is better for a romantic getaway.
- St Maarten is smaller than St Lucia but offers beautiful white-sand beaches, great diving and snorkeling, and plenty of casinos for those who want a bit of nightlife. It’s also cheaper than St Lucia.
- St Thomas is the most developed of the three islands and has the most shopping and restaurants, as well as cruise ship ports.
Is St Maarten dirty?
The beaches on the Dutch side of Saint Martin are generally clean, although there can be some trash on the sand and in the water. The French side is not as well-kept, and may be dirtier.
Visitors should be aware that there is a lot of construction going on, so be cautious when walking around certain areas. The main areas that seem to be the dirtiest are Philipsburg and Marigot.
These towns are full of tourists, so it’s not surprising that they would be a little messy. However, if you venture out into the countryside or go to one of the more remote beaches, you’ll likely find that St Maarten is quite clean.
Is St Thomas dirty?
The island of St. Thomas is located in the U.S. Virgin Islands and is known for its crystal clear blue waters, white sand beaches, and lush tropical vegetation. But is St. Thomas dirty?
There are definitely areas on the island that could use some improvement when it comes to cleanliness, but for the most part, St. Thomas is a pretty clean place.
The downtown area tends to be a little dirtier than other parts of the island, with trash piled up on the side of the road and sidewalks often cluttered with debris.
But if you venture out to the beaches or other areas away from town, you’ll find that St. Thomas is relatively clean.
Is there a Starbucks in St Thomas Virgin Islands?
Yes, there is a Starbucks in the Virgin Islands – in the town of Charlotte Amalie on the island of St. Thomas. It’s a popular spot for tourists and locals alike, and is often busy.
The coffee is good, and they offer a variety of food items, as well as pastries and desserts. They also have a good selection of drinks, including beer and wine.
If you’re looking for a place to relax and grab a cup of coffee while in St. Thomas, Starbucks is definitely worth checking out.